These chanages are overridden by monster specific abilities, needs and requirements.
5E Monster Type Changes
- Aberration: These creatures are usually mutated or just very strange monsters from other planes or worlds. Very few find their home comfortable on the prime. The Colubrine made themselves into aberrations, when they arrived here on Aviron they were a humanoid race. The Eye of Death, Gaseous Eye, Ettercap, Denary Brain and Brain Eater are aberrations. An aberration is usually evil, spawned by some evil magic or similar event. They are usually vindictive and outwardly show very vindictive and/or sadistic traits. They must eat, sleep and breathe. They usually have improved vision.
- Animals: The easiest definition for this category is if it lives on our earth today it is an animal. If not then it belongs in another type. Animals are hungry and usually only attack to eat, defend themselves, to protect their young or home. They must eat, sleep and breathe.
- Constructs: These are not truly creatures, they can't be charmed, they can only be controled. They do not sleep and have no need to eat or breathe.
- Dragon: Only Dragons, Dragon Spawn and Kobolds fall into this category. All dragons are arrogant to a fault. They do not believe to have an equal being created from the blood of a god and the destruction of a world. They rival all except the gods. For this reason, they would never allow cross breeding or experiments on them, as this would degrade them in every way. They must eat, sleep and breathe. Most can shapechange and can cast spells from any class they have attained. Dragons have exceptional senses and immune to paralysis.. How can you improve on perfection?
- Elementals: These creatures are natives to the Four Pillars fire, water, earth and air. They have acquired certain abilities by living on those realms. These creatures have attained a sentience and form themselves into a form of their choosing. They must eat, sleep and breathe. They are immune to sleep and paralysis. They can only be critical hit by weapons that have abilities to harm them by their type. e.g., a fire sword against a water elemental.
- Fey: They fey are immortal and are immune to sleep on their realm. They always make saves vs. sleep with advantage everywhere else. They are magic resistant by nature. All fey have Channel Energy from the goddess Rhiannon. The fey have darkvision.
- Goblinoid: These creatures form the many races that fill out the dark portions of the mega-verse. They are sentient. Orcs, Goblins, Bugbears, Hobgoblins and others. These races cannot be possessed by the Zot. These races breed true. They must eat, sleep and breathe. In most cases they have darkvision.
- Humanoid:These creatures form the many races that fill out the mega-verse. They are sentient; they include humans, Giants, Elves, Dwarves, Gnomes, Jotnar, Halflings, Val-Kesh, and others. They must eat, sleep and breathe.
- Insectoid:These creatures usually have hard outer shell like armor. They tend toward swarm-like tactics and are relentless in their pursuits. They must eat, sleep and breathe.
- Magical Beast:Most of the mythical creatures good and bad fit in here. The Gorgon, Unicorn, Pegasus, and kirin fall into this category. They all have at least some darkvision. They must eat, sleep and breathe. They all are magical in some way and may have spell casting abilities.
- Monstrous Humanoid: Trolls, Ogres, Ettin, and others. These creatures rarely can band together without some external force. They were originally bread for a purpose by more intelligent creatures. They over the past centuries have begun to form their own cultures. They tend toward a more brutish approach to problems. They must eat, sleep and breathe.
- Ooze: Oozes are sentient liquids, jelly like or semi liquid forms, Think “The Blob”. They have various additional senses to help them in their quest for food. These creatures are always very hungry and care nothing if a victim is good or evil. Oozes are immune to polymorph, poison, sleep, paralysis, mind effecting, critical hits, stun, phantasms, compulsions, illusions and stress. They must eat, sleep and breathe.
- Outsider: This is when a creatures from other worlds on the Tree of life mate. This also happens to couples of the same race in rare cases that live in close proximity to pocket domains, the Sea of Glass and the Primal Realms. Only one race claims to be from the Sea of Glass and they are also outsiders. They are the Rotsog or Raiders on the Sea of Glass. They must eat, sleep and breathe.
- Plant: This category covers any plant with some sentience and/or free will, like Tree-Ents. Only poisons specific to plants work on them. They are otherwise immune to all poisons. They all have some form of darkvision. They are immune to sleep, polymorph, and stress. They must eat, sleep and breathe, these are done seasonly.
- Shadow: Near the middle of the second age the force of good and evil meet on the Twilight World. They fought and the world fought for its own life as well. The world finally succumame to the power and magic. The world is sundered and half the world slips away. This land slips away and lands on a lower branch of the Tree of life ever in the shadow of the Fairy World. Creatures that stayed slowly became shadowy versions of their original self. They all have darkvision and are immune to sleep. They are all resistant to magic. They are usually immune to any shadow magic. They must eat, sleep (when not on the Shadow World) and breathe.
- Undead: Any creature that once lived can be undead. Turning undead is a Special Curse. No one is born an undead. They don't eat to surivive. They don't sleep and are immune to all sleep affects. They are not harmed by healing spells. Most do not heal normally. They are immune to Stun, Shaken, Pain, poison, sleep effects, stress, fatigue, bleed, wounding and morale affects. Many undead can curse you to become like them. They all gain a vision called Life Sense, they see your heart beating through your body. Most cause some stress damage.
Creature Specific Rules
- Goblins can eat anything and derive nourishment from it.
- Skeletons, constructs and Zombies have no brain and are immune to mind affecting spells, they don't sleep, they have no emotion. They can't be charmed.
- Skeletons can't be critical hit by piercing weapons. I look at their bones like wood, it would seem to me that bludgeoning weapons would be less affeective vs. a tree then a blade. So, I removed the bludgeoning doing double damage and made them equal to a bladed weapons.